• ARCHIVES 
  • » Here are the some of all about computer'z acronym an their definition's :eh: just updating this post 'til i had finished them :wallbash: If you know one..... ...i'll put u on my creditz :thumbs

Pages: 1

Here are the some of all about computer'z acronym an their definition's :eh: just updating this post 'til i had finished them :wallbash: If you know one..... ...i'll put u on my creditz :thumbs

bryanezz
» FTalker
FTalk Level: zero
1969-12-31

Here are the some of all about computer'z acronym an their definition's :eh: just updating this post 'til i had finished them :wallbash: If you know one..... ...i'll put u on my creditz :thumbs

Here are the some of all about computer'z acronym an their definition's :eh: just updating this post 'til i had finished them :wallbash: If you know one..... ...i'll put u on my creditz :thumbsup: Juz wanna share :D credits: definition:arrow: me added some acronyms :arrow: kamandag... [b]--- A ---[/b] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]ADSL[/b] - [i]Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line[/i]►Is a form of DSL, a data communications technology that enables faster data transmission over copper telephone lines than a conventional voiceband modem can provide. It does this by utilizing frequencies that are not used by a voice telephone call. A splitter - or microfilter - allows a single telephone connection to be used for both ADSL service and voice calls at the same time. Because phone lines vary in quality and were not originally engineered with DSL in mind, it can generally only be used over short distances, typically less than 3mi (5 km). -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]AGP[/b] - [i]Accelerated Graphics Port[/i]►Is a high-speed point-to-point channel for attaching a graphics card to a computer's motherboard, primarily to assist in the acceleration of 3D computer graphics. Between 2004 and 2007, AGP was replaced by PCI Express. As of 2007 new AGP cards and motherboards are still available to buy, however they are becoming much less common.. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]ALI [/b]- [i]Acer Labs, Incorporated[/i]►Is a major designer and manufacturer of integrated circuits for the personal computer and embedded systems markets. It is a subsidiary of the Acer group. The company was founded in 1987, its president is Teddy Lu. Part of ALi was separated as ULi Electronics Inc. in June 2003. ULi was acquired by NVIDIA in 2006 for $52 million.. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]]ALU[/b] - [i]Arithmetic Logic Unit[/i]►Is a digital circuit that performs arithmetic and logical operations. The ALU is a fundamental building block of the central processing unit of a computer, and even the simplest microprocessors contain one for purposes such as maintaining timers. The processors found inside modern CPUs and GPUs have inside them very powerful and very complex ALUs; a single component may contain a number of ALUs. Mathematician John von Neumann proposed the ALU concept in 1945, when he wrote a report on the foundations for a new computer called the EDVAC.. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]AMD [/b]- [i]Advanced Micro Devices[/i]►Is an American manufacturer of semiconductors based in Sunnyvale, California. The company was founded in 1969 by a group of former executives from Fairchild Semiconductor, including Jerry Sanders, III, Ed Turney, John Carey, Sven Simonsen, Jack Gifford and three members from Gifford's team, Frank Botte, Jim Giles, and Larry Stenger. The current chairman and CEO is Dr. Héctor Ruiz and the current president and chief operating officer is Dirk Meyer. AMD is the world's second-largest supplier of x86 based processors and the world's third largest supplier of graphics cards and GPUs, after taking control over ATI in 2006. AMD also owns a 21% share of Spansion, a supplier of non-volatile flash memory. In 2007, the company ranked eleventh among semiconductor manufacturers.. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]ANSI[/b]- [i]American National Standards Institute[/i]►Is a private nonprofit organization that oversees the development of voluntary consensus standards for products, services, processes, systems, and personnel in the United States. The organization also coordinates U.S. standards with international standards so that American products can be used worldwide. For example, standards make sure that people who own cameras can find the film they need for them anywhere around the globe. ANSI accredits standards that are developed by representatives of standards developing organizations, government agencies, consumer groups, companies, and others. These standards ensure that the characteristics and performance of products are consistent, that people use the same definitions and terms, and that products are tested the same way. ANSI also accredits organizations that carry out product or personnel certification in accordance with requirements defined in international standards. The organization's headquarters are in Washington, DC. ANSI's operations office is located in New York City.. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]API[/b]- [i]Application Program Interface[/i]►Is a source code interface that an operating system or library provides to support requests for services to be made of it by computer programs.. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]APC [/b]- [i]American Power Conversion[/i]►Based in West Kingston, Rhode Island, is a maker of AC and DC-based back-up power products and services. APC is best known for their manufacture of uninterruptible power supplies, mostly used as a backup power system for servers. Their current product line includes electrical power products, server racks, server cooling products, and other datacenter products. Until February 2007, when it was acquired, it had been a member of the S&P 500 list of the largest publicly-traded companies in the United States.. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]ASCII[/b] - [i]American Standard Code for Information Interchange[/i]►Is a character encoding based on the English alphabet. ASCII codes represent text in computers, communications equipment, and other devices that work with text. Most modern character encodings — which support many more characters than did the original. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]ASIC[/b] - [i]Application Specific Integrated Circuit[/i]►Is an integrated circuit (IC) customized for a particular use, rather than intended for general-purpose use. For example, a chip designed solely to run a cell phone is an ASIC. In contrast, the 7400 series and 4000 series integrated circuits are logic building blocks that can be wired together for use in many different applications. Intermediate between ASICs and standard products are application specific standard products.. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]ASPI [/b]-[i] Advanced SCSI Programming Interface[/i]►Provides an API originated by Adaptec which standardises communication on a computer bus between a SCSI host adapter on the one hand and SCSI (and ATAPI) peripherals on the other.. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]ATA [/b]- [i]Advanced Technology Attachment[/i]► A standard, also called IDE, designed to connect hard and removable disk drives.. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]ATAPI[/b]- [i]Advanced Technology Attachment Packet Interface[/i]►A system-level component interface used to connect CD-ROMs and tape drives to PCs and servers, as defined by the enhanced integrated drive electronics (EIDE) specification.. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]ATI[/b] - [i]ATI Technologies Inc.[/i]►Is a major designer and supplier of the graphics processing units, motherboard chipsets, and video display cards. Founded in Canada in 1985, the company was bought by and merged into the micro-processor manufacturer AMD in 2006. ATI is a fabless semiconductor company; it conducts its own research and development and outsources the manufacturing and assembly of its products. ATI's main competitor is NVIDIA. The ATI's flagship Radeon series of graphics cards directly competes with NVIDIA's GeForce. The two companies' dominance of the market forced other manufacturers into niche roles.. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]ATX [/b]- [i]Advanced Technology Extended[/i]►Form factor was created by Intel in 1995. It was the first big change in computer case and motherboard design in many years. ATX overtook AT completely as the default form factor for new systems. ATX addressed many of the AT form factor's annoyances that had frustrated system builders. Other standards for smaller boards (including microATX, FlexATX and mini-ITX) usually keep the basic rear layout but reduce the size of the board and the number of expansion slot positions. In 2003, Intel announced the new BTX standard, intended as a replacement for ATX. As of January 2007 the ATX form factor remains the industry standard for do-it-yourselfers; BTX has however made inroads into pre-made systems, being adopted by computer makers like Dell, Gateway, and HP. The official specifications were released by Intel in 1995, and have been revised numerous times since, the most recent being version 2.2, released in 2004. A full size ATX board is 12" wide by 9.6" deep (305 mm x 244 mm). This allows many ATX form factor chassis to accept microATX boards as well. ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ [b]--- B ---[/b] [b]BASIC[/b]- [i]Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code[/i]►Refers to a family of high-level programming languages. The original BASIC was designed in 1963, by John George Kemeny and Thomas Eugene Kurtz at Dartmouth College, to provide access for non-science students to computers. At the time, nearly all use of computers required writing custom software, which was something only scientists and mathematicians tended to do. The language (in one variant or another) became widespread on microcomputers in the late 1970s and home computers in the 1980s. BASIC remains popular to this day in a handful of highly modified dialects and new languages based on BASIC such as Microsoft Visual Basic. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]BFG [/b]-[i] BFG Technologies[/i]►Is a privately held U.S.-based supplier of premium 3D video cards based on NVIDIA graphics technology. BFG Technologies branded products are available in North America and Europe at retailers and e-tailers. Their main headquarters is in Lake Forest, Illinois. BFG makes graphics cards for midlevel and enthusiast computers. They were known for their Asylum brand; however, the NVIDIA 5x series of graphics accelerators were the last one to take that name. They are best known by computer enthusiasts for the OC (Overclocked) versions of their graphics cards. BFG was among the first graphics card companies to offer cards that were already overclocked from the standard recommended speeds. Their latest flagship graphics card, the BFG Tech GeForce 8800 GTX OC2 768MB Water Cooled PCI Express, features the world’s first DirectX® 10 GPU with an incorporated water block cooling system. This water cooled system allows the card to run at much cooler temperatures, as low as 30 degrees Celsius with a normal liquid cooling system. BFG Tech also offers the entry level 3D Fuzion card line, targeted at the mainstream consumer looking for a more affordable graphics card solution. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]BIOS [/b]-[i] Basic Input/Output System[/i]►The term is incorrectly known as Binary Input/Output System, Basic Integrated Operating System and occasionally Built In Operating System. BIOS refers to the firmware code run by a personal computer when first powered on. The primary function of the BIOS is to identify and initiate component hardware (such as hard drives, floppies, and CDs). This is to prepare the machine so other software programs stored on various media can load, execute, and assume control of the PC. This process is known as booting, or booting up, which is short for bootstrapping. BIOS can also be said to be a coded program embedded on a chip that recognizes and controls various devices that make up x86 personal computers. Among other classes of computers, the generic terms boot monitor, boot loader or boot ROM were commonly used. Some Sun and Macintosh PowerPC computers used Open Firmware for this purpose. There are a few proposed alternatives for Legacy BIOS on the x86 world: Extensible Firmware Interface, Open Firmware (used on the OLPC XO-1) and LinuxBIOS. The term first appeared in the CP/M operating system, describing the part of CP/M loaded during boot time that interfaced directly with the hardware (CP/M machines usually had a simple boot loader in ROM, and nothing else). Most versions of DOS have a file called "IBMBIO.COM" or "IO.SYS" that is analogous to the CP/M disk BIOS. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b] BNC[/b] - [i]Barrel Nut Connector[/i]►The BNC connector is used for RF signal (typically pro-video) connections, both for analog and Serial Digital Interface video signals, amateur radio antenna connections, aviation electronics (avionics) and on nearly every piece of electronic test equipment manufactured in the last 35 or so years. This connector is an alternative to the RCA connector when used for composite video on commercial video devices, however many consumer electronics with RCA jacks can be used with BNC-only commercial video equipment via a simple adaptor. BNC connectors were commonly used on 10base2 thin Ethernet networks, both on cable interconnections and network cards, though these have largely been replaced by newer Ethernet devices whose wiring does not use coaxial cable. Some ARCNET networks use BNC terminated coax. ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ [b]--- C ---[/b] [b]CAS[/b] -[i] Column Address Signal[/i]►Column of the physical memory location in an array (comprised of columns and rows) of capacitors used in dynamic random access memory modules. Thus CAS Latency (CL) is the time (in number of clock cycles) that elapses between the memory controller telling the memory module to access a particular column in the current row, and the data from that column being read from the module's output pins. Data is stored in individual memory cells, each uniquely identified by a memory bank, row, and column. To access DRAM, controllers first select a memory bank, then a row (using the row address strobe, RAS), then a column (using the CAS), and finally request to read the data from the physical location of the memory cell. The CAS Latency is the number of clock cycles that elapse from the time the request for data is sent to the actual memory location until the data is transmitted from the module. The data is organized bitwise. It is only assembled into bytes to meet the processor interface. Sometimes this happens on chip, and sometimes on the memory module. It is important to note that for all modern memory, many bits are accessed for each memory read. As an example, when DDR is read, a single read produces 64 bits of data. When discussing latencies, one should keep in mind that when talking about the time between bits, it is referring to the time from the appearance of the first group of bits until the appearance of the next group of bits. The following example is about what happens at the bit level. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]CD [/b]- [i]Compact Disk[/i]►Is an optical disc used to store digital data, originally developed for storing digital audio. The CD, available on the market since late 1982, remains the standard playback medium for commercial audio recordings to the present day. Standard CDs have a diameter of 120 mm and can hold up to 80 minutes of audio. There are also 80 mm discs, sometimes used for CD singles, which can store up to 24 minutes of audio. The technology was later adapted and expanded to include data storage (CD-ROM), write-once audio and data storage (CD-R), rewritable media (CD-RW), SACD, VCD, SVCD, PhotoCD, PictureCD, CD-i, and Enhanced CD. CD-ROMs and CD-Rs remain widely used technologies in the computer industry. The CD and its extensions have been extremely successful: in 2004, worldwide sales of CD audio, CD-ROM, and CD-R reached about 30 billion discs.[1] By 2007, 200 billion CDs had been sold worldwide. A standard audio CD consists of from one to 99 stereo tracks stored using 16-bit PCM coding at a sampling rate of 44.1 kHz per channel. Early CDs could hold 74 minutes of stereo sound; 80 minute CDs are now common. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]CDR [/b]- [i]Compact Disk Recorder[/i]►Is a variation of the Compact Disc invented by Philips and Sony. CD-R is a Write Once, Read Many (WORM) optical medium (though the whole disk does not have to be entirely written in the same session) and retains a high level of compatibility with standard CD readers (unlike CD-RW which can be rewritten but has much lower compatibility and the discs are considerably more expensive). -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]CDRW[/b] - [i]Compact Disk Re-Writer[/i]►Is a rewritable optical disc format. Known as CD-Erasable (CD-E) during its development, CD-RW was introduced in 1997, and was preceded by the never officially released CD-MO in 1988. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]CD-ROM[/b] -[i] Compact Disk - Read Only Memory[/i]►Is a Compact Disc that contains data accessible by a computer. While the Compact Disc format was originally designed for music storage and playback, the format was later adapted to hold any form of binary data. CD-ROMs are popularly used to distribute computer software, including games and multimedia applications, though any data can be stored (up to the capacity limit of a disc). Some CDs hold both computer data and audio with the latter capable of being played on a CD player, whilst data (such as software or digital video) is only usable on a computer (such as PC CD-ROMs). These are called Enhanced CDs. Although many people use lowercase letters in this acronym, proper presentation is in all capital letters with a hyphen between CD and ROM. It was also suggested by some, especially soon after the technology was first released, that CD-ROM was an acronym for "Compact Disc read-only-media", or that it was a more 'correct' definition. This was not the intention of the original team who developed the CD-ROM, and common acceptance of the 'memory' definition is now almost universal. This is probably in no small part due to the widespread use of other 'ROM' acronyms such as Flash-ROMs and EEPROMs where 'memory' is the correct term. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]CMOS[/b] - [i]Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor[/i]►Is a major class of integrated circuits. CMOS technology is used in microprocessors, microcontrollers, static RAM, and other digital logic circuits. CMOS technology is also used for a wide variety of analog circuits such as image sensors, data converters, and highly integrated transceivers for many types of communication. CMOS is also sometimes referred to as complementary-symmetry metal–oxide–semiconductor. The words "complementary-symmetry" refer to the fact that the typical digital design style with CMOS uses complementary and symmetrical pairs of p-type and n-type metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistors (MOSFETs) for logic functions. Two important characteristics of CMOS devices are high noise immunity and low static power consumption. Significant power is only drawn when the transistors in the CMOS device are switching between on and off states. Consequently, CMOS devices do not produce as much waste heat as other forms of logic, for example transistor-transistor logic (TTL). CMOS also allows a high density of logic functions on a chip. The phrase "metal–oxide–semiconductor" is a reference to the physical structure of certain field-effect transistors, having a metal gate electrode placed on top of an oxide insulator, which in turn is on top of a semiconductor material. Instead of metal, current gate electrodes (including those up to the 65 nanometer technology node) are almost always made from a different material, polysilicon, but the terms MOS and CMOS nevertheless continue to be used for the modern descendants of the original process. Metal gates have made a comeback with the advent of high-k dielectric materials in the CMOS process, as announced by IBM and Intel for the 45 nanometer node and beyond -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]CMYK [/b]-[i]Cyan Magenta Yellow Black[/i]►and often referred to as process color or four color) is a subtractive color model, used in color printing, also used to describe the printing process itself. Though it varies by print house, press operator, press manufacturer and press run, ink is typically applied in the order of the acronym. The CMYK model works by partially or entirely masking certain colors on the typically white background (that is, absorbing particular wavelengths of light). Such a model is called subtractive because inks “subtract” brightness from white. In additive color models such as RGB, white is the “additive” combination of all primary colored lights, while black is the absence of light. In the CMYK model, it is just the opposite: white is the natural color of the paper or other background, while black results from a full combination of colored inks. To save money on ink, and to produce deeper black tones, unsaturated and dark colors are produced by substituting black ink for the combination of cyan, magenta and yellow. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]CPU[/b] - [i]Central Processing Unit[/i]►or sometimes just processor, is a description of a certain class of logic machines that can execute computer programs. This broad definition can easily be applied to many early computers that existed long before the term "CPU" ever came into widespread usage. However, the term itself and its initialism have been in use in the computer industry at least since the early 1960s (Weik 1961). The form, design and implementation of CPUs have changed dramatically since the earliest examples, but their fundamental operation has remained much the same. Early CPUs were custom-designed as a part of a larger, usually one-of-a-kind, computer. However, this costly method of designing custom CPUs for a particular application has largely given way to the development of mass-produced processors that are suited for one or many purposes. This standardization trend generally began in the era of discrete transistor mainframes and minicomputers and has rapidly accelerated with the popularization of the integrated circuit (IC). The IC has allowed increasingly complex CPUs to be designed and manufactured in very small spaces (on the order of millimeters). Both the miniaturization and standardization of CPUs have increased the presence of these digital devices in modern life far beyond the limited application of dedicated computing machines. Modern microprocessors appear in everything from automobiles to cell phones to children's toys. ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ [b]--- D ---[/b] [b]DDR-SDRAM [/b]-[i] Double Data Rate - Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory[/i]►Is a class of memory integrated circuit used in computers. It achieves greater bandwidth than the preceding single data rate SDRAM by transferring data on the rising and falling edges of the clock signal (double pumped). Effectively, it doubles the transfer rate without increasing the frequency of the clock. With data being transferred 64 bits at a time, DDR SDRAM gives a transfer rate of (memory bus clock rate) × 2 (for dual rate) × 64 (number of bits transferred) / 8 (number of bits/byte). Thus with a bus frequency of 100 MHz, DDR-SDRAM gives a maximum transfer rate of 1600 MB/s. JEDEC has set standards for speeds of DDR SDRAM, divided into two parts: The first specification is for memory chips and the second is for memory modules. As DDR is superseded by the newer DDR2, the older version is commonly referred to as DDR1. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]DHCP[/b]-[i] Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol[/i]►Is a protocol used by networked devices (clients) to obtain various parameters necessary for the clients to operate in an Internet Protocol (IP) network. By using this protocol, system administration workload greatly decreases, and devices can be added to the network with minimal or no manual configurations. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]DIMM[/b] - [i]Dual Inline Memory Module[/i]►Or dual in-line memory module, comprises a series of random access memory integrated circuits. These modules are mounted on a printed circuit board and designed for use in personal computers. DIMMs began to replace SIMMs (single in-line memory modules) as the predominant type of memory module as Intel's Pentium processors began to control the market. The main difference between SIMMs and DIMMs is that SIMMs have a 32-bit data path, while DIMMs have a 64-bit data path. Since Intel's Pentium has (as do several other processors) a 64-bit bus width, it required SIMMs installed in matched pairs in order to use them. The processor would then access the two SIMMs simultaneously. DIMMs were introduced to eliminate this inefficiency. Another difference is that DIMMs have separate electrical contacts on each side of the module, while the contacts on SIMMs on both sides are redundant. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]DRAM[/b] - [i]Dynamic Random Access Memory[/i]►Is a type of random access memory that stores each bit of data in a separate capacitor within an integrated circuit. Since real capacitors leak charge, the information eventually fades unless the capacitor charge is refreshed periodically. Because of this refresh requirement, it is a dynamic memory as opposed to SRAM and other static memory. Its advantage over SRAM is its structural simplicity: only one transistor and a capacitor are required per bit, compared to six transistors in SRAM. This allows DRAM to reach very high density. Like SRAM, it is in the class of volatile memory devices, since it loses its data when the power supply is removed. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]DPI [/b]-[i] Dots Per Inch[/i]►Is a measure of printing resolution, in particular the number of individual dots of ink a printer or toner can produce within a linear one-inch (2.54 cm) space. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]DSL[/b] -[i]Digital Subscriber Line►Is a family of technologies that provide digital data transmission over the wires of a local telephone network. DSL originally stood for digital subscriber loop, although in recent years, many[attribution needed] have adopted digital subscriber line as a more marketing-friendly term for the most popular version of consumer-ready DSL, ADSL. DSL uses high frequency, regular telephone uses low frequency. Typically, the download speed of consumer DSL services ranges from 512 kilobits per second (kbit/s) to 24,000 kbit/s, depending on DSL technology, line conditions and service level implemented. Typically, upload speed is lower than download speed for Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line (ADSL) and equal to download speed for Symmetric Digital Subscriber Line (SDSL). [/i] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]DVD[/b] - [i]Digital Versatile Disc[/i]►Is a popular optical disc storage media format. Its main uses are video and data storage. Most DVDs are of the same dimensions as compact discs (CDs) but store more than 6 times as much data. Variations of the term DVD often describe the way data is stored on the discs: DVD-ROM has data which can only be read and not written, DVD-R and DVD+R can be written once and then functions as a DVD-ROM, and DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, or DVD+RW holds data that can be erased and thus re-written multiple times. The frequency used by standard DVD lasers is 650 nm DVD-Video and DVD-Audio discs respectively refer to properly formatted and structured video and audio content. Other types of DVD discs, including those with video content, may be referred to as DVD-Data discs. The term "DVD" is commonly misused to refer to high definition optical disc formats in general, such as Blu-ray and HD DVD. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]DVD-RAM [/b]- [i]Digital Versatile Disk - Random Access Memory[/i]►Is a disc specification presented in 1996 by the DVD Forum, which specifies rewritable DVD-RAM media and the appropriate DVD writers. DVD-RAM media have been used in computers as well as camcorders and personal video recorders since 1998. The direct successor of this format will be HD DVD-RAM. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]DVI[/b] -[i]Digital Video Interface[/i]►Is a video interface standard designed to maximize the visual quality of digital display devices such as flat panel LCD computer displays and digital projectors. It was developed by an industry consortium, the Digital Display Working Group (DDWG). It is designed for carrying uncompressed digital video data to a display. It is partially compatible with the High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) standard in digital mode (DVI-D). ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ [b]--- E ---[/b] ECC - Error Correction Code ECS - Elitegroup Computer Systems EDO - Extended Data Out EEPROM - Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory EPROM - Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory EVGA - EVGA Corporation [b]--- F ---[/b] FC-PGA - Flip Chip Pin Grid Array FDC - Floppy Disk Controller FDD - Floppy Disk Drive FPS - Frame Per Second FPU - Floating Point Unit FSAA - Full Screen Anti-Aliasing FS - For Sale FSB - Front Side Bus FTP -File Transfer Protocol [b] --- G ---[/b] GB - Gigabytes GBps - Gigabytes per second or Gigabits per second GDI - Graphical Device Interface GHz - GigaHertz GPU -Graphics Processing Unit GUI -Graphical User Interface [b]--- H ---[/b] HDD - Hard Disk Drive HDV - High-Definition Video HIS - Hightech Information System Limited HP - Hewlett-Packard Development Company HSF - Heatsink-Fan [b] --- I ---[/b] IBM - International Business Machines Corporation IC - Integrated Circuit IDE - Integrated Drive Electronics IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers IFS- Item for Sale IMAP - Internet Message Access Protocol InterNIC - Internet Network Information Center I/O - Input/Output IP - Internet Protocol IPX - Internetwork Packet Exchange IRQ - Interrupt Request ISA - Industry Standard Architecture ISDN - Integrated Services Digital Network ISO - International Standards Organization IVR - Interactive Voice Response [b]--- J ---[/b] JBL - JBL (Jame B. Lansing) Speakers JVC - JVC Company of America JRE - Java Runtime Environment [b]--- K ---[/b] Kbps - Kilobits Per Second KBps - KiloBytes per second [b] --- L ---[/b] LG - LG Electronics LAN - Local Are Network LCD - Liquid Crystal Display LDT - Lightning Data Transport LED - Light Emitting Diode [b]--- M ---[/b] MAC - Media Access Control MB � MotherBoard or Megabyte MBps - Megabytes Per Second Mbps - Megabits Per Second or Megabits Per Second MHz - MegaHertz MIPS - Million Instructions Per Second MMX - Multi-Media Extensions MSI - Micro Star International MTU - Maximum Transmission Unit [b] --- N ---[/b] NAS - Network Attached Storage NAT - Network Address Translation NEC - NEC Corporation NetBIOS-Network Basic Input/Output System NIC - Network Interface Card NTFS - New Technology File System [b]--- O ---[/b] OC - Overclock (Over Clock) OCZ - OCZ Technology OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer OS - Operating System [b] --- P ---[/b] PC - Personal Computer PCB - Printed Circuit Board PCI - Peripheral Component Interconnect PDA - Personal Digital Assistant PCMCIA - Peripheral Component Microchannel Interconnect Architecture PGA - Professional Graphics Array PLD - Programmable Logic Device PM - Private Message / Private Messaging PnP - Plug 'n Play PNY - PNY Technology POST - Power On Self Test PPPoA - Point-to-Point Protocol over ATM PPPoE - Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet PQI - PQI Corporation PSU - Power Supply Unit [b]--- R ---[/b] RAID - Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks RAM - Random Access Memory RAMDAC - Random Access Memory Digital Analog Convertor RDRAM - Rambus Dynamic Random Access Memory ROM - Read Only Memory RPM - Revolutions Per Minute [b]--- S ---[/b] SASID - Self-scanned Amorphous Silicon Integrated Display SATA - Serial Advanced Technology Attachment SCA - SCSI Configured Automatically SCSI - Small Computer System Interface SDRAM - Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory SECC - Single Edge Contact Connector SEO - Search Engine Optimization SODIMM - Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module SPARC - Scalable Processor ArChitecture SOHO - Small Office Home Office SRAM - Static Random Access Memory SSD - Solid State Drives SSE - Streaming SIMD Extensions SSL - Secure Sockets Layer SVGA - Super Video Graphics Array S/PDIF - Sony/Philips Digital Interface [b] --- T ---[/b] TB - Terabytes TBps - Terabytes per second Tbps - Terabits per second TDK - TDK Electronics TEC - Thermoelectric Cooler TPC - TipidPC TWAIN - Technology Without An Important Name [b]--- U ---[/b] UART - Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter USB - Universal Serial Bus UTP - Unshieled Twisted Pair [b] --- V ---[/b] VCD - Video CD VoIP - Voice Over Internet Protocol VPN - Virtual Private Network [b] --- W ---[/b] WAN - Wide Area Network WIFI - Wireless Fidelity WPA - Wi-Fi Protected Access WTB - Want to Buy WYSIWYG - What You See Is What You Get [b]--- X ---[/b] XGA - Extended Graphics Array XFX - XFX Graphics, a Division of Pine XMS - Extended Memory Specification XT - Extended Technology --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by bryanezz (2008-02-03 02:28:06)

Kamandag
» FTalkAddict
1969-12-31

Re: Here are the some of all about computer'z acronym an their definition's :eh: just updating this post 'til i had finished them :wallbash: If you know one..... ...i'll put u on my creditz :thumbs

you forgot these bro: SATA = Serial Advanced Technology Attachment SSD = Solid State Drives OS = Operating System WIFI = Wireless Fidelity i'll add more when i remember them :lol:
bryanezz
» FTalker
1969-12-31

Re: Here are the some of all about computer'z acronym an their definition's :eh: just updating this post 'til i had finished them :wallbash: If you know one..... ...i'll put u on my creditz :thumbs

post updated @kamandag thx 4 adding some bro :lol: i had put u on creditz.... :D
Kamandag
» FTalkAddict
1969-12-31

acronyms continued :D ATAPI: Advanced Technology Attachment Packet Interface ANSI: American National Standards Institute API Application Program Interface BASIC Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code CMYK Cyan Magenta Yellow Black DHCP Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol DVI Digital Video Interface FTP File Transfer Protocol GPU Graphics Processing Unit GUI Graphical User Interface HDV High-Definition Video I/O Input/Output IEEE Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers IMAP Internet Message Access Protocol InterNIC Internet Network Information Center IP Internet Protocol IPX Internetwork Packet Exchange IRQ Interrupt Request ISDN Integrated Services Digital Network IVR Interactive Voice Response JRE Java Runtime Environment MTU Maximum Transmission Unit NetBIOS Network Basic Input/Output System NTFS New Technology File System SEO Search Engine Optimization SSL Secure Sockets Layer VoIP Voice Over Internet Protocol WPA Wi-Fi Protected Access .. be adding more when i remember other commonly used acronyms :eh:
bryanezz
» FTalker
1969-12-31

[quote=Kamandag]acronyms continued :D ATAPI: Advanced Technology Attachment Packet Interface ANSI: American National Standards Institute API Application Program Interface BASIC Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code CMYK Cyan Magenta Yellow Black DHCP Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol DVI Digital Video Interface FTP File Transfer Protocol GPU Graphics Processing Unit GUI Graphical User Interface HDV High-Definition Video I/O Input/Output IEEE Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers IMAP Internet Message Access Protocol InterNIC Internet Network Information Center IP Internet Protocol IPX Internetwork Packet Exchange IRQ Interrupt Request ISDN Integrated Services Digital Network IVR Interactive Voice Response JRE Java Runtime Environment MTU Maximum Transmission Unit NetBIOS Network Basic Input/Output System NTFS New Technology File System SEO Search Engine Optimization SSL Secure Sockets Layer VoIP Voice Over Internet Protocol WPA Wi-Fi Protected Access .. be adding more when i remember other commonly used acronyms :eh:[/quote] THX again bro
FoRsAkEnKiD
» FTalkGeek
1969-12-31

[quote=bryanezz]stick this topic please ...it could be a great help[/quote] Ill decide later, if this would really prove to be helpful. Its good to know some of these acronyms, but its even better if we would know what they mean, not just what they stand for. =|
Kamandag
» FTalkAddict
1969-12-31

[quote=FoRsAkEnKiD][quote=bryanezz]stick this topic please ...it could be a great help[/quote] Ill decide later, if this would really prove to be helpful. Its good to know some of these acronyms, but its even better if we would know what they mean, not just what they stand for. =|[/quote] i can help with that... maybe later this evening i'll try to identify them. :eh:
bryanezz
» FTalker
1969-12-31

ok thx kamandag .......please help verifying what's the use of them :thumbsup:
Kamandag
» FTalkAddict
1969-12-31

hahaha, im so sorry bro. i forget to write down the description of this acronyms. sumthing unexpected happen last night so maybe tomorrow morning i'll try to name some of them..
bryanezz
» FTalker
1969-12-31

[quote=Kamandag]hahaha, im so sorry bro. i forget to write down the description of this acronyms. sumthing unexpected happen last night so maybe tomorrow morning i'll try to name some of them..[/quote] ok i will w8 bro :D
pinkblack08
» FTalkWhiz
1969-12-31

nice compilation,bryannez..thanks for sharing
03_khine_03
» FTalkManiac
1969-12-31

wow nyc.. it's a great help...we have lessons in our school about pc acronyms.. this can help me..... A LOT
karuro72002
» FTalkWhiz
1969-12-31

ahh! we have like this on our computer class! =)
leslie815
» FTalkAgent
1969-12-31

thankz fer the info...........
lalalalalalala
» FTalkAddict
1969-12-31

Lol, much for programmers. :lol:
  • ARCHIVES 
  • » Here are the some of all about computer'z acronym an their definition's :eh: just updating this post 'til i had finished them :wallbash: If you know one..... ...i'll put u on my creditz :thumbs

Pages: 1

Board footer

© 2024 F Talk

Current time is 07:08

[ 10 queries - 0.040 second ]
Privacy Policy