• ARCHIVES 
  • » everyday i check my internet connection speed in speedtest.net and it shows different result. sometimes its fast and sometimes slow. I ask our ISP why am I not having a stable internet connection spee

Pages: 1

everyday i check my internet connection speed in speedtest.net and it shows different result. sometimes its fast and sometimes slow. I ask our ISP why am I not having a stable internet connection spee

Frazen
» FTalker
FTalk Level: zero
1969-12-31

everyday i check my internet connection speed in speedtest.net and it shows different result. sometimes its fast and sometimes slow. I ask our ISP why am I not having a stable internet connection spee

everyday i check my internet connection speed in speedtest.net and it shows different result. sometimes its fast and sometimes slow. I ask our ISP why am I not having a stable internet connection speed and they just answered me that because i applied for a dynamic IP and if i really want a stable connection speed, i should apply for a static IP (monthly payment +700php). I ask them to explain it to me why Dynamic IP configuration having this problem and they said that sometimes the IP(assigned by DHCP server) i get has slow speed and sometimes fast. hmm. IP has its own connection speed?? lol. :O pag sure oi! :O.. is it true that dynamically changing of IP would affect my internet connection's speed? if its true can someone explain it to me.. sorry for my bad english.
alvin_bilian
» n00b
1969-12-31

Re: everyday i check my internet connection speed in speedtest.net and it shows different result. sometimes its fast and sometimes slow. I ask our ISP why am I not having a stable internet connection spee

[b]Quoted from Wikipedia[/b] When a computer uses the same IP address every time it connects to the network, it is known as a Static IP address. In contrast, in situations when the computer's IP address changes frequently (such as when a user logs on to a network through dialup or through shared residential cable) it is called a Dynamic IP address [u]Uses of dynamic addressing[/u] Dynamic IP Addresses are most frequently assigned on LANs and broadband networks by Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) servers. They are used because it avoids the administrative burden of assigning specific static addresses to each device on a network. It also allows many devices to share limited address space on a network if only some of them will be online at a particular time. In most current desktop operating systems, dynamic IP configuration is enabled by default so that a user does not need to manually enter any settings to connect to a network with a DHCP server. DHCP is not the only technology used to assigning dynamic IP addresses. Dialup and some broadband networks use dynamic address features of the Point-to-Point Protocol. [u]Uses of static addressing[/u] Static addressing is essential in some infrastructure situations, such as finding the Domain Name Service directory host that will translate domain names to numbers (IP addresses). Static addresses are also convenient, but not absolutely necessary, to locate servers inside an enterprise. An address obtained from a DNS server comes with a time to live, or caching time, after which it should be looked up to confirm that it has not changed. Even static IP addresses do change as a result of network administration, however
Frazen
» FTalker
1969-12-31

Re: everyday i check my internet connection speed in speedtest.net and it shows different result. sometimes its fast and sometimes slow. I ask our ISP why am I not having a stable internet connection spee

[quote=alvin_bilian][b]Quoted from Wikipedia[/b] When a computer uses the same IP address every time it connects to the network, it is known as a Static IP address. In contrast, in situations when the computer's IP address changes frequently (such as when a user logs on to a network through dialup or through shared residential cable) it is called a Dynamic IP address [u]Uses of dynamic addressing[/u] Dynamic IP Addresses are most frequently assigned on LANs and broadband networks by Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) servers. They are used because it avoids the administrative burden of assigning specific static addresses to each device on a network. It also allows many devices to share limited address space on a network if only some of them will be online at a particular time. In most current desktop operating systems, dynamic IP configuration is enabled by default so that a user does not need to manually enter any settings to connect to a network with a DHCP server. DHCP is not the only technology used to assigning dynamic IP addresses. Dialup and some broadband networks use dynamic address features of the Point-to-Point Protocol. [u]Uses of static addressing[/u] Static addressing is essential in some infrastructure situations, such as finding the Domain Name Service directory host that will translate domain names to numbers (IP addresses). Static addresses are also convenient, but not absolutely necessary, to locate servers inside an enterprise. An address obtained from a DNS server comes with a time to live, or caching time, after which it should be looked up to confirm that it has not changed. Even static IP addresses do change as a result of network administration, however[/quote] yes I am aware of this, their difference and importance. but my question is that is dynamically changing of IP is the cause of the unstable connection speed? If no then whats the cause?? :question: sorry about my noob question, just really curious why is this happening.
Kamandag
» FTalkAddict
1969-12-31

thats a long explaination but still didn't explained well why the internet connection speed between static and dynamic ip. here's my POV: Dynamic IP changes its net speed everytime the IP change because the server where you had been assigned by the ISP is not dedicated for you to use alone. you may sometime encounter that you are connected to that said IP with someone who is also bandwidth hungry while in Static IP that causes your net speed to drop or someone who just sit there ang chat which makes ur net speed climbs up., a single server is dedicated just for you or most likely to same person you had been sharing with thats why you won't see big changes.(mostly business type connection with static ip have only single user). If I were to choose for personal use, I prefer connectionmwith dynamic IP... why? hmnn many reasons :lol: but if your using ur internet connection for business static ip connection is advised... =)
Frazen
» FTalker
1969-12-31

I got it now, not only the dynamic configuration is one of the cause of the unstable connection, also the server itself. the maximum bandwith of my ISP is one factor why this is happening. Every users that subcribes on same ISP shares same bandwith. Like kamandag said, the server is not dedicated to handle to many users at the same time. and about the dynamic IP, if you notice sometimes your connection lost for a few seconds. thats because the IP that is assigned to you is already expired and need to be change. It would take a few seconds to assign another IP for you. static IP has stable internet connection speed is just a pure myth. Its just unoticable because they have separate server. Only few goes for Static IP and means only few shares the server's bandwith. thanks for kamandag's POV and i figured it out.

Last edited by Frazen (2008-03-12 07:07:38)

• ARCHIVES 
  • » everyday i check my internet connection speed in speedtest.net and it shows different result. sometimes its fast and sometimes slow. I ask our ISP why am I not having a stable internet connection spee

Pages: 1

Board footer

© 2024 F Talk

Current time is 20:04

[ 10 queries - 0.014 second ]
Privacy Policy