• ARCHIVES 
  • » While I was chatting with my friends in YM [Class-S Members], I have one friend who asked me this question.. [quote]"xave, I know you're good in Math, what is -6[sup]2[/sup]"[/quote] And without thin

Pages: 12

While I was chatting with my friends in YM [Class-S Members], I have one friend who asked me this question.. [quote]"xave, I know you're good in Math, what is -6[sup]2[/sup]"[/quote] And without thin

xavierkym
» FTalkFreak
FTalk Level: zero
1969-12-31

While I was chatting with my friends in YM [Class-S Members], I have one friend who asked me this question.. [quote]"xave, I know you're good in Math, what is -6[sup]2[/sup]"[/quote] And without thin

While I was chatting with my friends in YM [Class-S Members], I have one friend who asked me this question.. [quote]"xave, I know you're good in Math, what is -6[sup]2[/sup]"[/quote] And without thinking, I immediately replied 36. [b]My reason:[/b] 6 squared is 36 and a negative sign squared is positive. But then, he said no.. The answer is -36. Lol. I keep on insisting that I got the right answer.. After the chat I suddenly realised the he really proved me wrong. Coz I remembered what my algebra teacher told me in High School. It's about the [b]BEDMAS Rule[/b]. Some of you might know this and for some.. This might be a new lesson. :lol: So pay attention. BEDMAS? What is it? - [b]BEDMAS[/b] is actually a mnemonic or a secret code which enables us to know exactly the right sequence when we see a Mathematical Equation. Though in some schools, you might have a different mnemonic for this (eg. BODMAS, DMAS, BMAS... etc..) For example... What do you think the answer to 4 + 1 x 7 is? Is it: [b]Step I:[/b] (4 + 1) x 7 = 5 x 7 = 35 ? or [b]Step II:[/b] 4 + (1 x 7) = 4 + 7 = 11 ? BEDMAS can come to the help and give us rules to follow so that we always get the right answer: ([b]B[/b])rackets ([b]E[/b])xponent ([b]D[/b])ivision ([b]M[/b])ultiplication ([b]A[/b])ddition ([b]S[/b])ubtraction So, according to the rule.. Multiplication should go first, followed by addition. The correct way of answering the equation is [b]Step II[/b]. Well anyway, going back to the main issue.. My friend asked me [b]-6[sup]2[/sup][/b] Answer should be: [b]-36[/b] Reason: According to BEDMAS Rule.. Exponent should go first followed by subtraction. [b]How to do it?[/b] -6[sup]2[/sup] = - (6)[sup]2[/sup] <-- Exponent first = - (36) <-- 6[sup]2[/sup] becomes 36 = -36 <-- Do the subtraction. Done :) I hope this thread helped you. :D
i i LeA i i
» FTalkAgent
1969-12-31

Re: While I was chatting with my friends in YM [Class-S Members], I have one friend who asked me this question.. [quote]"xave, I know you're good in Math, what is -6[sup]2[/sup]"[/quote] And without thin

rawrr!this one refreshes me from my 1st hs yrs.. erghh!when our teacher discussed that thing i really dont get him..:wallbash::wallbash: geez!it was so hard to get!:retard: and now,reading this one.. hmm,juz as simple as that?? hmmm,nice2x!:eh: this one is helpful for those who are in the 7th grade!=)
joebz
» FTalkFreak
1969-12-31

Re: While I was chatting with my friends in YM [Class-S Members], I have one friend who asked me this question.. [quote]"xave, I know you're good in Math, what is -6[sup]2[/sup]"[/quote] And without thin

Oww, -36? I haven't heard about the BEDMAS thingie but our teacher always said that the answer would always be positive because multiplying two negatives would result to a positive. :paranoid: Wouldn't it be -36 if it was -(36)[sup]2[/sup]? <-- LOL :lol:
aysbeaux
» FTalkElite
1969-12-31

Woah, Xave! You're really good at Math!
aRies04991
» FTalkElite
1969-12-31

How come i only know the MDAS thing? they never taught us that. [b]M[/b]ultiplication [b]D[/b]ivision [b]A[/b]ddition [b]S[/b]ubtraction but NEGATIVE and SUBTRACTION is different, right? (or maybe it's just me) :wallbash:
xavierkym
» FTalkFreak
1969-12-31

^ That's what I've also learned when I was in Grade 6 :lol: In elementary they didn't include [b]B[/b]rackets and [b]E[/b]xponent because there are no algebraic equations in elementary yet. :crybaby: And negative is same with subtraction ;) You can even call it minus. :lol: BTW, guys... You can try it in your calculator. =) Or even try to type in google.. :arrow: -6 squared

Last edited by xavierkym (2008-07-22 07:39:42)

floid0523
» FTalkManiac
1969-12-31

wasnt it the [b]BODMAS[/b]? ([b]B)[/b]rackets ([b]O[/b])rder ([b]D[/b])ivision ([b]M[/b])ultiplication ([b]A[/b])ddition ([b]S[/b])ubtraction What does BEDMAS Mean>>?
xavierkym
» FTalkFreak
1969-12-31

^ Bro, please read the thread first. =| Anyway, BODMAS is a very ugly code to remember. [b]O[/b]rder doesn't give you any clue at all. :lol:
floid0523
» FTalkManiac
1969-12-31

Well thats what Mrs. Gregory Taught Me!
mystic rain
» FTalkWhiz
1969-12-31

hey just wanna share in our school we're not using not like that method we're using [b]PEMDAS[/b] not BEDMAS which is P - parenthesis E - exponent M - multiplication D - division A - Addition S - subtraction ahihi dats all!!!
aRies04991
» FTalkElite
1969-12-31

I see.. but i think that will be a confusion to [b]me[/b]. LOL if we follow that order, then [b](-(6^2)) / (-(3^2)) = 4[/b] might be [b]-4[/b] since division comes before subtraction right? hakhak (here goes my stupidity and mischief again) :lol:

Last edited by aRies04991 (2008-07-22 07:53:58)

deathsiren
» FTalkFreak
1969-12-31

waw. i suddenly recalled this lesson.. i learned this when i was in high school.. but surely if i were the one who was asked to answer -6 x -6 i would answer 36 too. :lol: well im not really good in math.. :lol:
Freelance6969
» FTalkGeek
1969-12-31

[b]nice one bro !! hehehe XD TOLD you so !! ahahhaa XD anyway . i debated this in class . . lol :D[/b]

Last edited by Freelance6969 (2008-07-22 08:35:22)

meng.o3
» FTalkElite
1969-12-31

[quote=xavierkym]Anyway, BODMAS is a very ugly code to remember. Order doesn't give you any clue at all.[/quote] :arrow: it's also the same as yours, Exponent = order. :thumbsup: you can encounter it mostly in DE.
floid0523
» FTalkManiac
1969-12-31

Yay! Go Meng! Thats what I thaught! I learnt this in middle school! thank god I listened to Mrs. Pin & Tack :lol: [quote]xavierkym: How is BODMAS a very ugly code to remember? [quote=xavierkym]Anyway, BODMAS is a very ugly code to remember. Order doesn't give you any clue at all.[/quote] [/quote]
meng.o3
» FTalkElite
1969-12-31

:arrow: actually.. i find BODMAS funny...no offense..but i'm really smiling as of this moment.. BODMAS BODMAS.. :lol: nuff.
kristina16
» SuperFTalker
1969-12-31

nice one xave... yer a real genius in math i envy you ahehe ;) haha nosebleed!! =D :D
LheN_15
» FTalkAddict
1969-12-31

[b]nosebleed!![/b] oww...i don't know that thing..hehe.. but try to learn it so I can have my advance reading
♥brains&beauty♥
» FTalkManiac
1969-12-31

I already know that... :) But still, thanks for sharing Xav... :) It's a great help for those who don't know what it is. :) But in Grade school [currently in the 6th grade], we call it, [b]PEMDAS[/b]. :D [quote]P for [b]Parenthesis[/b] E for [b]Exponent[/b] M for [b]Multiplication[/b] D for [b]Division[/b] A for [b]Addition[/b] S for [b]Subtraction[/b][/quote]
kalengsoftdrink
» n00b
1969-12-31

LOL, I was think that the answer is 36 too, and its recall me when I was in 6th Grade
  • ARCHIVES 
  • » While I was chatting with my friends in YM [Class-S Members], I have one friend who asked me this question.. [quote]"xave, I know you're good in Math, what is -6[sup]2[/sup]"[/quote] And without thin

Pages: 12

Board footer

© 2024 F Talk

Current time is 23:00

[ 10 queries - 0.034 second ]
Privacy Policy