• ARCHIVES 
  • » Stephenie Meyer, the hottest author for young people since J.K. Rowling, has a new link to the creator of "Harry Potter": a place high on the list of books most complained about by parents and educato

Pages: 1

Stephenie Meyer, the hottest author for young people since J.K. Rowling, has a new link to the creator of "Harry Potter": a place high on the list of books most complained about by parents and educato

beareyes
» FTalkGeek
FTalk Level: zero
1969-12-31

Stephenie Meyer, the hottest author for young people since J.K. Rowling, has a new link to the creator of "Harry Potter": a place high on the list of books most complained about by parents and educato

Stephenie Meyer, the hottest author for young people since J.K. Rowling, has a new link to the creator of "Harry Potter": a place high on the list of books most complained about by parents and educators. [b]Meyer's multimillion-selling "Twilight" series was ranked No. 5 on the annual report of "challenged books"[/b] released Wednesday by the American Library Association. Meyer's stories of vampires and teen romance have been criticized for [b]sexual content[/b]; a library association official also thinks that the "Twilight" series reflects [b]general unease about supernatural stories[/b]. "Vampire novels have been a target for years and the `Twilight' books are so immensely popular that [b]a lot of the concerns people have had about vampires are focused on her books[/b]," says Barbara Jones, director of the association's Office for Intellectual Freedom. Christian groups for years have protested the [b]themes of wizardry in Rowling's books[/b], which don't appear on the current top 10. Topping the 2009 chart was [b]Lauren Myracle's "IM" series[/b], novels told through instant messages that have been criticized for nudity, language and drug references. Last year's No. 1 book, [b]"And Tango Makes Three," by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson[/b], is now No. 2, cited again for its story about two male penguins adopting a baby. Third was [b]Stephen Chbosky's "The Perks of Being a Wallflower,"[/b] for which the many reasons include drugs, suicide, homosexuality and being antifamily. Also cited were such perennials as [b]J.D. Salinger's "The Catcher in the Rye"[/b] (sexual content, language), [b]Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird"[/b] (language, racism), [b]Alice Walker's "The Color Purple"[/b] (sexual content, language) and [b]Robert Cormier's "The Chocolate War"[/b] (nudity, language, sexual content). The ALA recorded 460 challenges in 2009, a drop from 513 the year before, and 81 books actually being removed. The ALA defines a challenge as a "formal, written complaint filed with a library or school requesting that materials be removed because of content or appropriateness." For every challenge tallied, about four or five end up unreported, according to the ALA.
Daniera_cHan122
» FTalkManiac
1969-12-31

Re: Stephenie Meyer, the hottest author for young people since J.K. Rowling, has a new link to the creator of "Harry Potter": a place high on the list of books most complained about by parents and educato

good thing i don't read that anymore. O_O. I think it sucks now.
Dfamador
» FTalkFreak
1969-12-31

Re: Stephenie Meyer, the hottest author for young people since J.K. Rowling, has a new link to the creator of "Harry Potter": a place high on the list of books most complained about by parents and educato

[quote=beareyes;#3524079;1271323702]a library association official also thinks that the "Twilight" series reflects general unease about supernatural stories.[/quote] TRUE. During the days when Twilight was a craze, I asked my mom to buy me one since everyone else is reading it and have read it. I wanted to know what's with that novel :retard: She discouraged me from those kinds of books since its contents are [u]UNREAL[/u]. So I started reading 'The Testament' by John Grisham :thumbsup::thumbsup:[hr] :):):) As what I know, the concept of vampires was created by an English poet [b][?][/b][b][?][/b] [b][?][/b]
sweet11
» FTalker
1969-12-31

duh.! Twilight is really cool.! i hate that American Library stuff.!
beareyes
» FTalkGeek
1969-12-31

[quote=Dfamador;#3524237;1271328417]the concept of vampires was created by an English poet[/quote] - He's Irish. Bram Stroker. :d And the concept of vampires started somewhere in Europe. :yes2: I am so thankful I didn't bought it, instead, I tried to read it as an eBook. Well, to be honest, I am quite disappointed. I actually haven't finished reading it yet, it's sooooo freaking long. Every detail was so stretched that it doesn't matter for the readers anymore. The first three books were edited by Meyer herself because the publisher refused to do so (and the publisher refused to release it, actually). :facepalm: Lmao, fail.
strikerno14
» FTalker
1969-12-31

[quote=beareyes;#3524079;1271323702]Meyer's stories of vampires and teen romance have been criticized for sexual content[/quote] This is true... Twilight is basically the "wet dream" of stephanie meyer...what kind of girl doesn't get afraid by a guy who sneaks at her every night and watches her sleep?
oniongurl
» FTalkAgent
1969-12-31

I like [b]Twilight[/b] before, but then when it became a movie and everyone's saying they love it and started to read the books, I got really, really annoyed. But I got myself thinking too, and I realized that I really [u]never[/u] liked it. It's really unrealistic, and I really don't like Bella's personality. . __ . And yeah, there's a sexual content for the Last book.. all in all, Twilight is [i]overrated[/i]. No offense to fans. OT: Nyaah. I hope if ever [b]Hunger Games [/b] will turn into a movie, how I wish people will not watch it o-o
Daniera_cHan122
» FTalkManiac
1969-12-31

[quote=oniongurl;#3539137;1272007175]I like Twilight before, but then when it became a movie and everyone's saying they love it and started to read the books, I got really, really annoyed. But I got myself thinking too, and I realized that I really never liked it. It's really unrealistic, and I really don't like Bella's personality. . __ . And yeah, there's a sexual content for the Last book.. all in all, Twilight is overrated. No offense to fans.[/quote] yeah.. same here. liked it before but when i read the other book, i realized i NEVER (or i DID) like it.
jamessss:b
» SuperFTalker
1969-12-31

i dont care about this whole thing, we do have own perspectives regarding this topic. anyway not a fan of the movie's franchise. but it's book, definitely.
cutest08
» FTalkWhiz
1969-12-31

I try to like Twilight Movie/Book. But gahh. Sucks. :wasted:
forsakendoll
» FTalkAgent
1969-12-31

I like Twilight. I read all the Twilight book series. I've watched Twilight and New Moon and I [i]am[/i] going to watch Eclipse. I'm not dumb to notice that Meyer isn't exactly a good writer. Especially in Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse. I can't put my finger on it but she lacks a lot of things as a writer. Even the dialogue between the characters are kind of lame. :xixi: She got a lil better in Breaking Dawn though. I just like the concept of her story so I'm watching/reading it regardless of the criticisms. Bottomline: I have better wet dreams than her. :lol3:
Daniera_cHan122
» FTalkManiac
1969-12-31

I should not read or watch it anymore. It's not teen-friendly unlike Twilight. Eclipse,Breaking Dawn... nahh... too adult.
losher29
» FTalkElite
1969-12-31

My friend has been reading this book since 6th Grade, She was totally into it "OH MY GOSH this book is SOOOOO goood" Since I wasn't exactly a book worm. I didn't read it though she let me borrowed for a day, i was like wtf o.O & then when it got all popular i was like okay? People are actually buying this crap -__-
strikerno14
» FTalker
1969-12-31

you all should just watch Vampires Suxk
  • ARCHIVES 
  • » Stephenie Meyer, the hottest author for young people since J.K. Rowling, has a new link to the creator of "Harry Potter": a place high on the list of books most complained about by parents and educato

Pages: 1

Board footer

© 2024 F Talk

Current time is 22:49

[ 10 queries - 0.555 second ]
Privacy Policy