• ARCHIVES 
  • » I found this information posted at the coding forums and decided to share it with everyone: [b]DID U KNOW THIS...?[/b] An Indian discovered that nobody can create a folder anywhere named as [b]con

Pages: 1

I found this information posted at the coding forums and decided to share it with everyone: [b]DID U KNOW THIS...?[/b] An Indian discovered that nobody can create a folder anywhere named as [b]con

hael
» FTalker
FTalk Level: zero
1969-12-31

I found this information posted at the coding forums and decided to share it with everyone: [b]DID U KNOW THIS...?[/b] An Indian discovered that nobody can create a folder anywhere named as [b]con

I found this information posted at the coding forums and decided to share it with everyone: [b]DID U KNOW THIS...?[/b] An Indian discovered that nobody can create a folder anywhere named as [b]con [/b] This is something pretty cool...and unbelievable... At Microsoft the Whole Team, including Bill Gates, Couldn't answer why this happened! Try it out yourself... ??
Padme
» FTalkAgent
1969-12-31

Re: I found this information posted at the coding forums and decided to share it with everyone: [b]DID U KNOW THIS...?[/b] An Indian discovered that nobody can create a folder anywhere named as [b]con

[b]Mystery solved. [/b] =) There are other names you can't create as well. Just because they are [b]reserved words[/b] for Windows. [quote][i]Reader Mathias Schwarz offers this explanation:[/i] It's not that weird. 'con' is a reserved word from the old DOS days, simply meaning 'console'. If you wanted to create a new text file in DOS you could type 'copy con newfile.txt' meaning copy from the console to newfile.txt. This would let you type some lines and when you ended the file with ^Z (DOSish for 'end of file') you would have a file called newfile.txt containing whatever you wrote in the console. This is indeed still possible in the Windows XP console, and can you see what mess it would cause if you let files or folders have the name 'con'? What would 'copy con newfile.txt' then mean? BSOD? [quote]Russ Watts confirms the suggestion, giving this list of other DOS devices that can't be used as folder names: CON, PRN, AUX, CLOCK$, NUL, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8, COM9, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, and LPT9.[/quote] That concludes this public service announcement. [i][b]Source:[/b] http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27053[/i][/quote]

Last edited by Padme (2007-08-27 05:36:44)

hael
» FTalker
1969-12-31

Re: I found this information posted at the coding forums and decided to share it with everyone: [b]DID U KNOW THIS...?[/b] An Indian discovered that nobody can create a folder anywhere named as [b]con

wow thats kewl....hmmmm thanks for the addtional info ;)
MaFra
» n00b
1969-12-31

i think it's [i]possible[/i].. open the command prompt type [b]cd\ [/b] then [b]md\\.\\c:\\con [/b] you now have the [u][b]con[/b][/u] folder.. *now the question is, how to delete it?! wakoko!!
thephrenetic
» FTalker
1969-12-31

hahaha...i know this stuff.. :eh:
  • ARCHIVES 
  • » I found this information posted at the coding forums and decided to share it with everyone: [b]DID U KNOW THIS...?[/b] An Indian discovered that nobody can create a folder anywhere named as [b]con

Pages: 1

Board footer

© 2024 F Talk

Current time is 02:53

[ 12 queries - 0.011 second ]
Privacy Policy