• ARCHIVES 
  • » I have a suggestion, although I don't know if it's even possible. =| To be able to change/edit our usernames. I have noticed that there are a lot of us who wish to do this without having to start o

Pages: 12

I have a suggestion, although I don't know if it's even possible. =| To be able to change/edit our usernames. I have noticed that there are a lot of us who wish to do this without having to start o

Infamous J
» FTalkElite
FTalk Level: zero
1969-12-31

I have a suggestion, although I don't know if it's even possible. =| To be able to change/edit our usernames. I have noticed that there are a lot of us who wish to do this without having to start o

I have a suggestion, although I don't know if it's even possible. =| To be able to change/edit our usernames. I have noticed that there are a lot of us who wish to do this without having to start over. I know and understand that when choosing a username you should be more careful and put more thought into it before you decide. However, sometimes, even when you put a lot of thought into it, things change or "you" change, and it would be nice if we could edit our usernames. I, too, am one of those who wishes that I could edit my username. What do you all think?
BwizetT
» FTalkGeek
1969-12-31

Re: I have a suggestion, although I don't know if it's even possible. =| To be able to change/edit our usernames. I have noticed that there are a lot of us who wish to do this without having to start o

[b]I think it's a very Good Idea bro, But I think this will take a long time to be done on the Admins Part..[/b] :ninja:
Angeli_7
» FTalkGeek
1969-12-31

Re: I have a suggestion, although I don't know if it's even possible. =| To be able to change/edit our usernames. I have noticed that there are a lot of us who wish to do this without having to start o

[b]It's a good idea bro ^^ I really sometimes ponder on wanting to change my username coz there are other members having similar usernames with mine..and we sometimes get confused when members address us with the first part of our usernames and all that ...Unfortunately that feature isn't available... Though it may be helpful for members like us who wants to change our usernames for good intentions...some members may abuse it and use that for other bad purposes in this forum...[/b]

Last edited by Angeli_7 (2008-08-17 14:33:31)

Infamous J
» FTalkElite
1969-12-31

Hey, thanks for supporting this. [b]@Jar[/b] I agree that it is something that will probably not be done right away (if at all), but it would be nice. [b]@Angel[/b] You raise some good points, too. For me, it's not because of any kind of 'confusion' but because my username, at the time I created it, had a lot of meaning. The 'bhebhie' was the nickname given to me by my [i]now[/i] [i]ex[/i] girlfriend and thus, it has no more meaning to me. Again, I realize my mistake that I guess I should have treated my username like a tattoo. When getting a tattoo, you want to try and make sure it's something that you'll never 'oppose'. However, at that time (and anybody who's ever been in love can relate) I never had any thoughts that it (relationship) was gonna end. So, even after carefully thinking about my username, I still decided to use the nickname she gave to me. Maybe if the feature could be used on a 'case by case' basis because, as you mentioned, some members may abuse the feature if it were implemented. But for those of us who are 'good' members (follow rules, act proper, etc) and have good intentions for editing our usernames, it would really, really be nice. I mean, I have 4,000+ posts here in FTalk (which I'm proud of) and amazingly 70+ repu (which I'm also proud of). I feel like I have a pretty good repertoire here in FTalk and I don't want to start over as a Newbie, but I very, very much would like to edit my username. =|
aRies04991
» FTalkElite
1969-12-31

I'd rather stick to our usernames right now. it'll get confusing (for me) if one keeps on changing his/her username.
Infamous J
» FTalkElite
1969-12-31

[b]@aRies[/b] Good point, too. Hmm, maybe if it were implemented, it could be on not only a 'case by case' basis, but also a limit to the number of times you can change it. Maybe just [u]once or twice[/u]. I figure if you have changed your username (if the feature was ever added) twice, and you still are unsure about it, then you'll never be sure about it and you'd just have to deal with it. In my case, if the feature was added, I would likely change my username to my nickname, which has been my nickname since I was about 16 or 17 years old (10+years ago). My nickname will stick with me for the rest of my life, which means I'd never have a need to change it again. Anyway, it's just a suggestion. I hope maybe one day in the future it will be granted, though.
eehjhay
» FTalkWhiz
1969-12-31

We need to know the prons and cons about this, and also the advantages and disadvantages of this. If this will be implemented, members will be able to change their usernames to their much more desired usernames. They can gain their uniqueness against other members. On the other hand, we as moderators will be confuse on how can we familiarize the members. If they keep changing their usernames, we won't be able to track down abusers and rule breakers. It will be chaos on our part. To prevent this, the possible solutions may be used: [li]Only moderators should be given privilege to change the members' usernames[/li] [li]Usernames can only be change one time[/li] [li]Members should gain a certain post count and days covered after their date registration in this forum[/li] [li]Consider as a prize from a contest or event[/li] These can be combined in a particular way so that the abuse of changing usernames will be prevented as possible. But however, everyone should think and decide carefully before registering any accounts in any website/forum.
Infamous J
» FTalkElite
1969-12-31

[quote=eehjhay]• Only moderators should be given privilege to change the members' usernames • Usernames can only be change one time • Members should gain a certain post count and days covered after their date registration in this forum • Consider as a prize from a contest or event[/quote] [b]Thanks for sharing your thoughts here, bro. Yes, I like your ideas. I think those would be a very good standard to go by if this feature should ever be implemented.[/b] [u]Only Mods can change a members' username.[/u] [b][i]I agree with and have no problem with that. I support that 100%.[/i][/b] [u]Can only change a username once[/u] [b][i]I support that 100% as well, as to avoid too much confusion and as you stated, being able to track the abusers, etc.[/i][/b] [u]Post count requirement[/u] [b][i]Good one, too. Although, if I may add to this one. I think on a lot of the 'post requirements' for certain abilities (100 post to vote or request, etc) are too small. It's way too easy to hit 100 posts, or even 500 posts if you're determined. For this feature, I believe the required post count (if implemented) should be for a higher standard. My suggestion to the required post count to 'hypothetically' use the edit/change username feature should be no less than 2,000 posts, maybe even 2,500.[/i][/b] [b] :arrow: [i]My reason for making the 'required postcount' so steep is for a couple of reasons. 1) If you make it to 2,000 or 2,500+ chances are, you're gonna remain active in the forum, therefore, by remaining an active member, this feature would almost serve as a reward for doing so. 2) By sticking around to reach that high post count, the Moderators have had a very good chance to 'get to know you' or 'observe' you and how you behave or interact with others. 3) Just as I had already stated, 100 or 500 (and even 1,000) posts is relatively easy to achieve and for this kind of a 'special feature', it should be more demanding to achieve it.[/i][/b] [u]Prize from a contest[/u] [b][i]That's a good option, too. I myself doubt that I will ever enter any contests here, so I hope for the other options more. =) But for those who do enter into contests, I do support this one, too.[/i][/b] And yes, you're right, everyone should think carefully before registering a username here or in any forum or website. Although, as I had said, sometimes even the most careful decisions can turn out wrong. And everybody makes mistakes, but everybody deserves a second chance, too. Well, again, thank you for sharing your ideas hear bro eehjhay. Appreciate it, as with all who reply here.

Last edited by bhebhiej (2008-08-17 20:16:50)

Ephemeral
» FTalkElite
1969-12-31

[quote=eehjhay]• Consider as a prize from a contest or event[/quote] I consider this a good suggestion... At least let a member [b]earn[/b] the privilege through winning a certain contest. :penguin: Letting moderators or members change Usernames without even equivalent effort is kinda lame [i](On my opinion)[/i]. Post counts aren't enough to compare the privilege of changing our username. Activeness isn't either, Even Spammers can avoid moderators and be active if he was tricky enough. The best ways is to start/compose a contest that will be held [b]annually[/b] or[b] biannually[/b] regarding the Usernames. In short... Let sir admin decide the ideal concept.

Last edited by Ephemeral (2008-08-18 02:58:30)

eunich
» FTalkAddict
1969-12-31

[b]This is good kuya Jesse. But on what did Kuya Eehjhay said and Kuya Ephe's suggestion too, i do agree.. ;) there are many advantages and disadvantages with it;)[/b] [i]Hope yah all understand my English[/i]
jieduck
» SuperFTalker
1969-12-31

This is a great suggestion. I fully support this one. Thanks for raising this suggestion up. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Furthermore, the responses of MODS [b]eehjhay[/b] and [b]ephe[/b] are quite supportive and seems to be feasible. I like their ideas. Hope that any of their ideas be granted to us. :thumbsup::thumbsup: God bless us all! Jie
the_legend_killer
» FTalkElite
1969-12-31

i like what Ephemeral and eehjhay said but i will go with aRies04991 why?! [quote][i]Please enter a username Username[/i] [b]The username you choose is final and can not be changed[/b]. [i]Please only use alphabetic and numeric characters.[/i][/quote] :arrow: the moment a person made an account here he/she should think of what username he/she will use and he/she should keep in mind that it will be final and cannot be change [i](if the user read and understand whats the meaning of [u]final and can not be changed[/u] in the registration form! the one above)[/i] =) :arrow: lets say that the username can be change [i](even if just ones)[/i] some people will really get confuse like aRies04991 said or the worst part is some people will first actually cannot notice you who you really are because the username change, so your tendency is you'll introduce your self again to your friends here [i](so on and so for)[/i] :eh: :arrow: even if i really want to change my username here i mean look at it! but i accept it because before i made an account here i keep in mind that i can not change it anymore and there will be more disadvantages in changing the username rather than the advantages [i](id rather stick to the first rule anyways)[/i] :cool: :arrow: [b]its just my own opinion[/b] anyway! you can ignore what ive just said if you dont like it rock on :D\m/

Last edited by the_legend_killer (2008-08-18 07:54:31)

Ephemeral
» FTalkElite
1969-12-31

That's why it is called a [b]hard to earn privilege[/b] meaning it can bend the rules in a [i]positive manner[/i]. The only thing that makes it worth while is the word [b]hard to earn[/b]. A good example of a hard to earn privilege is the Title Tank. Many joined the CSS contest yet only one prevailed. We all know the primary rule is the final law but... Certain privileges can disregard the rules even if it's final. Just remember... Before you get the privilege you have to [b]prove[/b] yourself worthy. You have to pass the eyes of an hawk and fangs of poisonous snake. In short. A prize only given to those who really earn it. If he/she really earned it fairly. The derived negative effects will be disregarded due the [b]exerted effort[/b]. [b]Note:[/b] The prize I am talking about subject of this topic.

Last edited by Ephemeral (2008-08-18 08:58:54)

Infamous J
» FTalkElite
1969-12-31

[b]@Ephemeral[/b] I agree with you that the privilege to change your username one time should be [b]hard to earn[/b]. However, as for the privilege being granted [b]only[/b] through winning a contest, to me, seems a little bit unfair. Only because I'm looking at my position in this which is......I'm not a skilled CSS or Overlay or a Graphics maker and I'm not a coder so I likely will never enter/win any kind of contest here in FTalk. I've learned a few tricks and tweaks here and I'm contented with that as I'm happy with my simple knowledge. (However my simple knowledge is not going to win me any contests). That being said, I don't feel that I can't 'earn' that privilege somehow. I think I'm a respectable member here and I think I do a good job at following the rules and when there is somebody in need of help, although I usually cannot fix their problem, I point them in the right direction. I think being a good, respectful, active member is a contribution to FTalk when you look around and see how many spammers and flamers we have here in FTalk and how many 'cursed members' we have and how many members have been banned. Then you have those of us who have stuck around, remain active, try to be helpful, and show respect to the fellow members. Without active members this forum would be pretty lame. To change a username.....okay, we could make the 'post requirement' 7,500+ (the final FTalk ranking). How many members around have attained that final rank? Not many. And it's a hard rank to obtain. If a member reaches that rank, it's because he/she has stuck around (and obviously has tried to follow rules otherwise he/she would have been banned) and remained active and contributed to FTalk. Just in my opinion, I think Admin would agree that a member who is active and respectful is a valuable FTalk member and hopefully at some point one of these active and respectful members could receive this privilege (if ever granted). I don't really see many disadvantages to this feature if it is a privilege that is made hard to obtain, and can only be done one time. Not many members will go great lengths to obtain this privilege if they don't respect the forum itself. I think those who would be interested in this feature would be few and far between, thus, not too much confusion for the Mods and also, those who would be interested in this feature would have good intentions for changing their username. One last thought. As for winning this 'privilege' through a contest. A spammer/flamer who is skilled in layout making/etc could achieve this privilege then. I don't think a 'skilled spammer' ( :lol: ) should be given that prize, while somebody like me is unable to win it just because of simple knowledge. Just my opinion.
Ephemeral
» FTalkElite
1969-12-31

Simple... Not all contests ot friendsterTalk are layout contest. =) :D Anyway... If there was a contest and the prize is the privilege to change your username. It will still falls to the jurisdiction of sir admin to accept the T.A.C. of the contest prize... :penguin: [i](If we are talking about the prizes)[/i] Changing the Username if you have a good reputation or proper accounted post doesn't speak to meet that much... I don't see the effort. Anyway... [quote=bhebhiej]One last thought. As for winning this 'privilege' through a contest. A spammer/flamer who is skilled in layout making/etc could achieve this privilege then. I don't think a 'skilled spammer' ( :lol: ) should be given that prize, while somebody like me is unable to win it just because of simple knowledge. Just my opinion.[/quote] That will never happen because of the border. If you're a Spammer - Ban If you're a Flammer - Ban Moderators can disqualify members or remove them from the contest if they have a very bad rep list. :penguin:

Last edited by Ephemeral (2008-08-18 11:41:22)

Infamous J
» FTalkElite
1969-12-31

Okay, so I just now realized how long my last post here was so I put this reply into spoilers. :lol: [b]@Ephe[/b] [i]Not so simple?[/i] [spoiler]Yes, you're right about the contests. Not all of the contests are about layouts and graphics. However, I have yet to see a contest that I would be 'qualified' to enter into. If there is a contest for 'Most Outspoken FTalker' then maybe I would qualify for that. :lol: Seriously, though. That's why your suggestion of only gaining the privilege through winning a contest concerns me. You said you don't notice any effort by a member in having a good reputation of an 'active' post count. We definitely disagree there, and that's perfectly okay. Another point I should have made when I said that is also (in my case) a member who also does his part in trying to keep the forum 'clean'. What I mean by that is the use of the report button. I know that I'm not the only regular FTalker who reports offenses, however, I would guess that I'm one of the top contributors in this aspect. You're one of the Moderators, and I'm sure you probably see my 'reports' rather frequently. Sometimes I actually feel that I'm a little too quick to report an offense, but I do it anyway to help the Moderators do their job well. And I'm sure you also know that most FTalkers don't care more than to just reply to the offender in that thread in which he/she made the offense. And In doing so, a lot of times that can lead to flaming, where if that person simply hit the 'report' button it would have been taken care of without incident. So, there's another reason that I think members such as myself contribute to FTalk, along with the other reasons I've already voiced. And I sincerely do mean this as any kind of disrespect to you, however, if you really think that I do not contribute (or make any effort) in FTalk then I'll stop reporting offenders and let the Moderators do it all on their own and I hope those like me will do the same. If I'm not contributing, then why should I waste my time? I'll just pretend that I don't see the offense or the 'report' button. And when I post, I'll just start replying with "Nice, bro....Thanks for sharing" instead of giving a thoughtful answer to the threadstarter(s). If they can get away with it then so can I. For more on this, refer below....[/spoiler] [i]It will never happen?[/i] [spoiler][quote=bhebhiej]One last thought. As for winning this 'privilege' through a contest. A spammer/flamer who is skilled in layout making/etc could achieve this privilege then. I don't think a 'skilled spammer' ( :lol: ) should be given that prize, while somebody like me is unable to win it just because of simple knowledge. Just my opinion.[/quote] On this issue, you state that it will never happen. Yet, I see 'spammers' (in particular) go unpunished in any way almost every day in FTalk. I mean, in most sections under the "Rules of Section" it states to not reply with posts such as "Nice, bro...Thanks for sharing", rather, to give a thoughtful and respectful reply to the threadstarter. But I see 'spammers' get away with this all the time. I could name a few of those 'spammers' right now (However I will not do it publicly) and every single day they do the same thing over and over again. And I see Moderators (Maybe not you, yourself) come and post right behind these 'spammers' and do nothing about it. I have 'reported' these offenders before and never saw any action taken against them. Isn't "Nice, bro...Thanks for sharing" repeated 15-20 times in the same section considered as spam? I've even seen some ummm....non "members" do this same thing. Again, I will not name anybody publicly, but if you would like me to name some of these people, I will do so in a PM. The 'spammers' who just post with smileys...yeah, they get punished, as do those who constantly double and triple post. And usually the flamers get dealt with also, thankfully. But the, shall we say, 'inconspicuous spammers' spam every single day that I'm here in FTalk. I'm sure I'm not the only one who notices it. My final point on this particular part is that taking into consideration what I just typed, there is actually a very good possibility that a 'skilled spammer' could win this privilege (the topic of this thread) because they already get away with it now and nothing is done about it. And there's where my concern lies with only being able to earn a username change privilege through the win of a contest, whereas someone like me who I feel does contribute to this forum is left behind on the issue because he/she hasn't seen any contests that he/she may be qualified to win. And by the way, there's another area where I feel I put forth effort and contribute to this forum....because you'll notice that I give thoughtful answers as opposed to 'inconspicuous spam' answers like so many members do not. That's why I am in agreement with Eehjhay's other suggestions as well.[/spoiler] [i]Final thoughts[/i] [spoiler]Lastly..... Again, I definitely want to re-assure you that I did not in any way intend to disrespect you with my previous statements nor with the statement that I'm about to make regarding your statement about a 'lack of effort' in being active and having a good reputation..... If the rest of the Moderators feel the same way as you do on this issue I sincerely hope that they will say so in this thread. Why? Because if all of the Moderators are in agreement that members like me make no contribution to this forum then I will gladly quit and never return. Seriously. I mean, if I'm not making any contribution to the forum community and I'm not deserving of achieving the 'privilege' that this thread is about and if it goes completely unnoticed that I don't break the rules and nobody cares if I do my best to try and help the other members then why should I bother to remain active? The reason that I [i]do[/i] remain so active is because I like enjoy interacting with the friends I've made here. But I interact with them in the notion that by following the rules and being active and securing a good reputation that I am also contributing to the community. But I can do that through Friendster or in Yahoo! Messenger.[/spoiler]

Last edited by bhebhiej (2008-08-18 18:47:25)

kristina16
» SuperFTalker
1969-12-31

[quote=aRies04991]I'd rather stick to our usernames right now. it'll get confusing (for me) if one keeps on changing his/her username.[/quote] i like this idea but...yeah nix was right...itll get confusing... if ever they changed their names...uhmmm =|
oOpunkrockeranimeOo
» FTalkElite
1969-12-31

yeah, I think so too! I want my username to be changed to the same thing in friendster!
Infamous J
» FTalkElite
1969-12-31

[b]@Kristina[/b] I really don't think it would get all that confusing simply because if it's only allowed one time, and it's hard to obtain the option, I don't think there are too many people here who feel so strongly about changing their usernames that they would try to achieve such a hard to obtain privilege. I would guess that most everybody is happy with their username already. Anyway, thanks, everybody for sharing here whether you support or not. :thumbsup:
frolickfriendster
» FTalkAddict
1969-12-31

the concept is ideal, but i doubt if its feasible at the moment. i agree with aries. btw somebody wrote "prons and cons". correction, it's "pros and cons" (for and against). and if you have to say pros and cons, you don't have to add advantages and disadvantages. the implication is quite redundant ya know, eh? :eh: have a nice day. lol
  • ARCHIVES 
  • » I have a suggestion, although I don't know if it's even possible. =| To be able to change/edit our usernames. I have noticed that there are a lot of us who wish to do this without having to start o

Pages: 12

Board footer

© 2024 F Talk

Current time is 07:03

[ 10 queries - 0.022 second ]
Privacy Policy