• ARCHIVES 
  • » I came across several posts here, seems quite a number of folks have pretty good handle on computers, internet , websites , or other techie stuff ... If you are a newbie to computers and you need hel

I came across several posts here, seems quite a number of folks have pretty good handle on computers, internet , websites , or other techie stuff ... If you are a newbie to computers and you need hel

kabuteman
» n00b
FTalk Level: zero
1969-12-31

I came across several posts here, seems quite a number of folks have pretty good handle on computers, internet , websites , or other techie stuff ... If you are a newbie to computers and you need hel

I came across several posts here, seems quite a number of folks have pretty good handle on computers, internet , websites , or other techie stuff ... If you are a newbie to computers and you need help or just have a techie question , try it here, maybe someone can help you :) Drop a Q, maybe we can help U :eh: ..

Last edited by kabuteman (2007-06-05 00:42:42)

FoRsAkEnKiD
» FTalkGeek
1969-12-31

Re: I came across several posts here, seems quite a number of folks have pretty good handle on computers, internet , websites , or other techie stuff ... If you are a newbie to computers and you need hel

^ Good idea. Gotta go get my Forum Glue and make this thread into a sticky :D :thumbsup:
Padme
» FTalkAgent
1969-12-31

Re: I came across several posts here, seems quite a number of folks have pretty good handle on computers, internet , websites , or other techie stuff ... If you are a newbie to computers and you need hel

Great thread! I actually have a question now. :D I always format my computer like once every 2-3 months. [b]Is this unhealthy for my hard drive?[/b] My computer seem to ran slow now these days. I need to clean my hardware, but my video card is having problems. If I clean it, I have a hard time making it work again. GRRR!
kabuteman
» n00b
1969-12-31

[quote=Padme]Great thread! I actually have a question now. :D I always format my computer like once every 2-3 months. [b]Is this unhealthy for my hard drive?[/b] My computer seem to ran slow now these days. I need to clean my hardware, but my video card is having problems. If I clean it, I have a hard time making it work again. GRRR![/quote] Hi Padme, Re-formatting the hard drive is generally a "healthy" procedure and helps clear away bad blocks while defragging it as well. I don't think this can cause performance problems to you. One thing you can do is to identify what is the cause of the performance hog. One way to do this is hit CTRL-ALT-DEL , then go to task manager. There will be a CPU column there. Most often the worst performance offender is the one that has a cpu value of 50 or greater. If you do find a process like that , highlight that process then kill it. If your system performs better, then that should be the culprit. Video card problems normally arise when a wrong driver is installed or as usual , "bugs". I would recommend you to check the vendor site of your video card for more up to date drivers. When installing drivers, its usually best to "manually" uninstall them first (software wise and hardware wise). There will be cases you may need to re-seat the video card (hardware wise) . One other check is to go to Event Viewer, here you will see potential hardware and software issues . This can help detect bad drives, etc... To go to Event Viewer, try to go to Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Event Viewer ( Win 2000 -- Im not sure on vista or xp :) ) hope this helps

Last edited by kabuteman (2007-06-05 13:42:54)

Padme
» FTalkAgent
1969-12-31

Thanks for the tip! So formatting is good after all. =) I was just afraid I might be ruining my hard drive by formatting it often. Hmmm... are you referring to the CPU usage? The highest I got was 90+ from "[i]System Idle Process[/i]". Any idea what that means? [img]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2443/1111hh7.jpg[/img] I was able to view "[i]Event Viewer[/i]". But I need to understand some stuff mentioned there. It's been a year since I took my computer to a PC-shop for upgrade. The last time I cleaned my video card was 2 or 3 months ago. I clean it with an eraser hehehe. I guess I might have to try and clean it again. :|

Last edited by Padme (2007-06-05 14:16:55)

kabuteman
» n00b
1969-12-31

Hi Padme, Having a 93+ at the System Idle process, means your machine is "cpu" idle 93% . Hmm.. from how I see it, there are no cpu hoggers .. Are you experiencing slowness when you took that task manager dump? If yes, there could be other factors ... It may be your internet connection that is hogged (you may want to check if your internet speed has not dropped) or you may be getting into memory issues.. To check for memory issues, there should be a Performance tab there that should give you a real time graph of the memory utilization of your machine. The data there could be good diagnostic info as well.. You can assess there if you need to add more swap or page space if needed. regards, [i]Merging 2nd:[/i] [quote]Ohh , one thing I noticed , you got a process there called "ScanningProcess" .. If this was an anti-virus job, this can be a bit IO-intensive. If you are experiencing performance issues, try to turn this off .. and see if that helps.[/quote]

Last edited by Padme (2007-06-06 11:18:34)

Padme
» FTalkAgent
1969-12-31

Hmm.. I tried to terminate [i]"System Idle Process"[/i]. But it says something like "[i]Unable to Terminate Process[/i]". That [i]"ScanningProcess"[/i] was part of ZoneAlarm, I read it somewhere. Thanks for the tips and advice. By the way I merged your posts, hope that's okay. Thanks again!
marfillaster
» FTalkAddict
1969-12-31

download cachemanxp, it can give you real time values of what is left with your ram and cpu at system tray... better, if you need performance you should have atleast 512 physical ram, but for you as a multimedia professional, go for atleast 1024 ram. and you should set your virtual ram 3 times as your physical ram. additionally, you can set your display setting to maximum performance @ rightclick My computer>properties>advance>performance setting>adjust for best performance you can also schedule defragmentation everyday, normally xp will defrag every 3 days automate disk cleanup more tweaks http://www.j79zlr.com/reg.php http://www.tweakxp.com/performance_tweaks.aspx
Padme
» FTalkAgent
1969-12-31

^ Yeah and that is why I should be upgrading my memory. :wasted: I've only 768 of memory, I'd have to get a bigger memory preferably, 2Gig. I probably need a new [i]Processor[/i] too to go w/ that, my processor is old <P4 from 2001!>. And sadly I can't afford to defrag my PC, as I'm using the computer all the time. I plan to upgrade my hardware soon.. so hard to keep up with new technology. Thanks for the links Ken.. they might come in handy. =):thumbsup:
marfillaster
» FTalkAddict
1969-12-31

im actually using only p3 1Gh w/ 512 ram and im satisfied with it after doing all possible performance tweaks.
Padme
» FTalkAgent
1969-12-31

^ Ken just saw the links! =):thumbsup: Thanks they'd be really useful I'm sure. I'm checking one now.
senyorito21
» FTalker
1969-12-31

Hey.. got some question here... Is it safe to hack the voltage of my computer to speed it up...?? Hmm... I tried it and seems working but I dont know if its safe?? I wish it will not cause any damage to my motherboard??
kabuteman
» n00b
1969-12-31

[quote=senyorito21]Hey.. got some question here... Is it safe to hack the voltage of my computer to speed it up...?? Hmm... I tried it and seems working but I dont know if its safe?? I wish it will not cause any damage to my motherboard??[/quote] I think you may be referring to overclocking.. you may need to exercise caution there especially if your PC is not newly installed.. If you try to overclock a PC that is already installed, you may get some Windows errors upon bootup. There's fixes available but I wouldnt even encourage you to get there. [quote=Padme]Hmm.. I tried to terminate [i]"System Idle Process"[/i]. But it says something like "[i]Unable to Terminate Process[/i]". That [i]"ScanningProcess"[/i] was part of ZoneAlarm, I read it somewhere. Thanks for the tips and advice. By the way I merged your posts, hope that's okay. Thanks again![/quote] Right, System Idle Process is not really a "true" process. It's the amount of "inactivity" that your system has. The higher it is the better for your overall system performance. Also , 768M Ram isnt bad at all.. one thing you can check is your available swap space .. its normally in the Advanced Tab of your System (from control panel) .. If you have enough disk space, try to pad that more .. Swap space is dynamically used by windows to load/unload applications to/from memory. Swap space really is just another "file" in your OS . Which means, you need to ensure that the drive where your swapfile resides will never run out of space. So.. as a good habit, try not to run out of space from your drives, if you do, you can get into wierd performance issues. Thanks for merging.. no probs at all..

Last edited by Padme (2007-06-07 09:09:54)

Padme
» FTalkAgent
1969-12-31

^ Thanks very much Kabuteman... :D That helped a lot. By the way, I merged your posts again. =) We can't have 2 or more consecutive posts, hope that's okay.
senyorito21
» FTalker
1969-12-31

hmm.. kabuteman.. can you give me some advices to speed up my PC in a safer way?? hmmm.. Im doing the basic ways.. fixing registry error, cleaning up temporary files,scanning viruses and spywares.. optimizing settings, defragmenting, turning off unnecesary softwares at startup ex window blinds... bla-bla-bla... Is this enough?? heres my system info: pentium 4[R] 1.7Ghz Maxtor(Hard drive) 40G RAM 256M :doubt: ECS motherboard.. Geforce2 MX/MX 400 Can you recommend me other devices that will speed up my PC but in a lower price?? and last one, can I install windows vista into my computer even though my RAM is only 256m?? The recommended RAM size is 1G?? nweiz thx dude... sorry bout too much questions :D
marfillaster
» FTalkAddict
1969-12-31

dude, i think you should buy another 256 ram, its only around 300PHP i think. with that size of ram... you cant do much for that except one program running at a time
kabuteman
» n00b
1969-12-31

senyorito, yep.. 256M can be too limiting .. this means you will need to triple at least your swap (paging) space. Since swap is on disk , you don't want to use swap for your memory operations, else your system will be doggedly slow. Your specs are ok except the RAM .. So try to upgrade that to at least 512M or higher. I havent really tried vista on a 256M ram box, hard to make a comment. Try Linux! haha .. no kidding.. you will experience a much more faster machine and better use of hardware resources .. it can be limiting though since you cannot make use of windows games, and other software. So , I suggest setting your machine in dual boot. If you just plan to browse the net , go linux .. if you want to use windows , you can still boot up to it. Also, depends really what kinds of apps are you using for your system, one way to improve system performance is to turn off those "unwanted" programs that gets started upon bootup. You will normally see these in the Startup folder or at Control Panel ---> Admin tools ---> Services (this is for win2k) hope this helps you
FoRsAkEnKiD
» FTalkGeek
1969-12-31

[quote=senyorito21]can I install windows vista into my computer even though my RAM is only 256m??[/quote] No you cant. The minimum required RAM for Vista is 512mb. And even though I already have that amount of RAM, Id still stick to XP for now. As what kabuteman said above, Linux is good at maximizing your resources. Im not really recommending it yet, but I might try installing one on mine so I would know.
jamessss:b
» SuperFTalker
1969-12-31

nice thread kabute. actually. i have a question. Why Everytime Im Using My Photoshop It Decreased The MB of my computer. wat a heck. and it runs so slow. :doubt:
marfillaster
» FTalkAddict
1969-12-31

because photoshop and any image editing software consumes a lot of memory
  • ARCHIVES 
  • » I came across several posts here, seems quite a number of folks have pretty good handle on computers, internet , websites , or other techie stuff ... If you are a newbie to computers and you need hel

Board footer

© 2024 F Talk

Current time is 14:50

[ 10 queries - 0.036 second ]
Privacy Policy